Do you still feel your PC running Windows 7 is running slower than expected???
By following a few simple guidelines, you can maintain your computer, help increase your PC speed, and help keep it running smoothly.
- Free up disk space
The Disk Cleanup tool helps you to free up space on your hard disk to improve the performance of your computer. The tool identifies files that you can safely delete and then enables you to choose whether you want to delete some or all of the identified files.
Use Disk Cleanup to:
- Remove temporary Internet files.
- Delete downloaded program files, such as Microsoft ActiveX controls and Java applets.
- Empty the Recycle Bin.
- Remove Windows temporary files, such as error reports.
- Delete optional Windows components that you don't use.
- Delete installed programs that you no longer use.
- Remove unused restore points and shadow copies from System Restore.
Procedure to perform disk clean up:
- Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup. If several drives are available, you might be prompted to specify which drive you want to clean.
- When Disk Cleanup has calculated how much space you can free up, in the Disk Cleanup for dialog box, scroll through the content of the Files to delete list.
- Clear the check boxes for files that you don't want to delete, and then click OK.
- For more options, such as cleaning up System Restore and Shadow copy files, under Description, click Clean up system files, and then click the More Options tab.
- When prompted to confirm that you want to delete the specified files, click Yes.
After a few minutes, the process will complete and the Disk Cleanup dialog box will close, leaving your computer cleaner, performing better, and potentially increasing your PC speed.
- Disable Search Indexing
If you don't yes Windows Search functionality very often then you can disable the search indexing. Windows 7, In order to speed up the search process scans all your files and folders and indexes them in a file. In this process it consumes some processing power and if you use search functionality very rarely then you are better off without this feature.
To turn off search indexing:
- In start type "services.msc" and press enter.
- Services Dialog Box will be displayed, locate the Windows Search service in the list of services, right click it
- Now select Stop, the search service will be stopped.
- Next click on Properties.
- In the startup type drop down box, choose the Disabled option.
- Remove Unwanted Startup Programs
Startup programs run when your login to the system, so have a look at which programs you have allowed to run on start up, as you might find many of those in the list which you no longer need at all or you do not need them to start on the system boot up.
For disabling unwanted programs from running on startup:
- Click Start, then type "msconfig" and hit Enter.
- Now in the System Configuration window
- Go to the startup tab and uncheck the programs that you don’t want to run upon startup.