Do you still feel your PC running Windows 7 is running slower than expected???
By following a few simple guidelines, you can maintain your computer, help increase your PC speed, and help keep it running smoothly.
This is the second part of guidelines for making Windows 7 faster here is the first part Making Windows 7 faster: speed up your PC - [PART1]
- Disabling Windows 7 aero user interface
The aero user interface certainly adds some "Eyecandy" to Windows 7 but certainly consumes a lot of resources.
Aero user interface squeezes your graphics or video card to its maximum.
If we care more about speed and performance in Windows 7 then disabling the aero UI is the best thing to do to get that missing performance boost.
Disabling aero UI:
- Right Click on your Desktop and select "Personalize".
- Select the "Windows 7 Basic Theme" from Basic and High Contrast Themes
- Turn off Windows features
In Windows 7 you can turn off Windows components — such as Internet Explorer, Windows Search, the Gadget platform, and media features — that you couldn’t disable in earlier versions of Windows.
To Turn off Windows features:
- Click Start, go to Control Panel and select Programs And Features.
- In the left pane, click Turn Windows Features On Or Off.
- Simply select or deselect the check boxes to enable or disable the various Windows features.
- Once you have done that, click OK.
- Defragment your disks
The defragmentation process searches your disk partitions and makes sure that the stored files are in one contiguous piece which results in better system performance.
Windows 7 has improved disk defragmentation utility which gives users more control over defragmentation tasks.
The most important features of Windows 7 defragmenter is that it lets you safely terminate the defrag process any time without any adverse effect and can defrag multiple volumes at the same time.
To start the defragmentation process
- Go to Start.
- Click on All Programs Accessories.
- Click on System Tools.
- Select Disk Defragmenter.
- Click on "Defragment disk" to start the defragmentation process.
You can also schedule the defragmentation process, by clicking on "Configure schedule", then you can choose the frequency, Day, Time and the disks you want to defragment as per your convenience.
No need to hesitate! Speed up your Windows 7 now!