When launched SGS came with 2.1 installed, then it got a series of updates 2.2, 2.2.1, 2.3.2, 2.3.3 and now 2.3.4. With each update Samsung has brought in refinements and fixes to improve customer experience significantly!
In this latest Gingerbread 2.3.4 update you will find a lot of performance improvements over the previous Android versions.
These improvements involve better battery backup, elimination of lag(slowness) while using the device.
SGS with 2.3.3 recorded a quadrant score of ~1200, this has increased to ~1800 with 2.3.4 update.(Samsung still continues to use RFS instead of ext4)
- You need to have the Samsung drivers for your SGS installed on the desktop. To do so simply install Samsung Kies. Samsung Kies version 18.104.22.16832_12_9 can be downloaded from here.
- Make sure you have charged your battery, 50% or higher is preferable. (To be on a safer side charge your mobile to 100%)
- Make sure you have download mode working. (Turn off your mobile by pressing the power button, once switched off press and hold "power button + menu button + vol down button" simultaneously)
- The next important point is to download the firmware for upgrading. The latest 2.3.4 Gingerbread is I9000XXJVP, here is the link for the firmware.(firmware source is this, download the stock firmware from this site)
- You need to have ODIN 3 v1.7(the software used to update your SGS) you can download this from here.
Kindly follow the instructions mentioned below:
- Extract the firmware you will find a folder named "Android 2.3.4" inside that folder there will be 4 files "CODE_I9000XXJVP_CL264642_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5", "GT-I9000-CSC-MULTI-OXAJVP.tar.md5", "MODEM_I9000XXJVP_REV_00_CL1019177.tar.md5", "s1_odin_20100512.pit".
- Enter Download Mode by pressing power button + menu button + vol down button simultaneously.
- Open ODIN and then plug in the USB cable.
- Ensure that you see something written in ID:COM after connecting your device.
- Select PIT "s1_odin_20100512.pit" from the extracted folder.
- Click on PDA and select the PDA file "CODE_I9000XXJVP_CL264642_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5" from extracted folder.
- Click on PHONE and select the PHONE file "MODEM_I9000XXJVP_REV_00_CL1019177.tar.md5" from extracted folder.
- Click on CSC and select the CSC file "GT-I9000-CSC-MULTI-OXAJVP.tar.md5" from extracted folder.(You should see something like this in odin)
- DO NOT tick Re-Partition.
- Check if both Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time are ticked.(both are ticked by default)
- Press Start button to begin the flashing process.
- You will see the progress in both ODIN and your phone.
- Your phone will restart.(You should see green color in PASS and ID:COM fields)
- You can now disconnect the USB cable from your phone and follow on screen instructions.
Here is a screenshot of Gingerbread 2.3.4(XXJVP)...
If you have any questions please feel free to ask!!