What is CyanogenMod?CyanogenMod is an aftermarket firmware for a number of cell phones based on the open-source Android operating system. It offers features not found in the official Android based firmwares of vendors of these cell phones.
Some of the features provided by this firmware are as follows,
- DSP EqualizerDynamic range compression, equalizer, and headphone filtering.
- Themes SupportBlue, Black, Red or Green. The choice is yours with the inbuilt theme choser.
- Incognito ModeFor times when you want to browse in stealth mode, CyanogenMod offers the incognito browsing mode.
To check all the features provided by this firmware check the CyanogenMod siteOfficial CyanogenMod site!.
Today, I'll be explaining you how to install Cyanogen Mod 7 on Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.
Prerequisites for installing CM7,
- For installing CM7 you need to be on Froyo base, with safe bootloaders. You can install the Froyo baseXXJPY(2.2.1) with hardcore's SpeedMod kernel from here.
- Download the latest cm_galaxysmtd_full-7.zip from here.
- Transfer the zip file downloaded in previous step to the root of your internal SD-card of Samsung Galaxy S.
- Assuming that you are already on the safe Froyo base, turn off the device by pressing power button, wait till the device vibrates. This is the acknowledgement that the device has been successfully turned off.
- Now, enter Recovery Menupower button + home button + volume up button.
- Go to Mounts and Storage, use volume keys to navigate through the menu. Perform the following things,
- format /system
- format /cache
- format /data
- Return to Recovery Main Menu.
- Select Install zip from sdcard.
- Select cm_galaxysmtd_full-7.zip you downloaded before in step 2 of prerequisites.
- Select yes, to confirm your action.
- It will perform a efs backup, install CM7 kernel and reboot.
- Phone will automatically install the update.
- Wait until your phone is fully booted.
Congratulations on successfully installing CyanogenMod 7 on your Samsung Galaxy S!
(OPTIONAL)If you need Google apps like Android Market, GTalk, GMail, Google Maps, etc. you need to install Google Apps from here.